17 August 2007

Don't Techno For an Answer

Feed me beats, pls

"I must take better care of my things, and I will.": this quote, courtesy of Lil Wayne, concludes Sasha Frere-Jones' excellent profile of the New Orleans rapper from the August 13th edition of The New Yorker. I've been feeling the same about this site, posting pretty regularly but clearly off of my torrid July pace (a lot like the Yankees: 3 Ls in a row, ouch); to make slight amends I thought I'd throw in a little weekend bonus addition, for the fans, if you will.

So first, a recommendation: check out Ann Arbor label Spectral Sound's Death is Nothing to Fear EP series, now on its second volume (the first was released in February). Comprised of artists both established and new, it is the premier argument that not only is techno in America not a dead form, but it's thriving just a hop, skip, and a jump from its Detroit birthplace. The time is now, especially with Total 8, the latest edition of industry leader Kompakt's state-of-the-label comp, receiving less than stellar reviews for lack of forward momentum. Take the power back! You can order both Vols. 1 & 2 from iTunes for roughly $4 a pop - little money well spent. Also make sure to visit BuyGhostly.com, the internet storefront for Spectral Sound and parent electronic label, Ghostly International. Any one who wants to get me that Osborne t-shirt: I take a large.

Second, here some old and new tracks for your weekend jaunt:
  1. The Long Blondes - "Giddy Stratospheres" (Rough Trade)
  2. The Beatles - "I'm a Loser" (Capitol/EMI)
  3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Down Boy" (Interscope)
  4. Feist - "My Moon My Man (Boyz Noize Classic Mix)" (Kitsune)
  5. The Vibrators - "Baby, Baby" (Columbia)
  6. Franz Ferdinand - "All My Friends (LCD Soundsystem Cover)" (DFA/EMI)
  7. Blondie - "Atomic" (Chrysalis)
  8. Death From Above 1979 - "Black History Month (Alan Braxe and Fred Falke Remix)" (Last Gang)
  9. Kanye West feat. Daft Punk - "Stronger" (Def Jam)
  10. The Marvelettes - "I'll Keep Holding On" (Tamla)
  11. Depeche Mode - "Strangelove" (Mute/Sire)
  12. M.I.A. - "Paper Planes" (Interscope)
  13. The Clash - "Death or Glory" (Epic)