14 December 2007

Bill-bored 2007

If they hate then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up

Normally, I would field a singles/songs extravaganza to a) compliment the albums list I put out last week, and b) further stoke my delusions of grandeur, but frankly, the mind/body divide was too much to overcome in 2007. Typically the complaints run the other way: just Google any of Christgau's Pazz & Jop essays from the late '70s and early '80s and the recurring complaint amongst the electorate is "so many terrific singles, so few worthy albums." But after a bumper crop in '06 (courtesy of, in large part, Timbaland's collaborations with Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake), perhaps we were due for a down year pop-wise in '07. This year a lot of great albums spoke to the head, but not a lot of tracks spoke to the ass, and there weren't a lot of "What's Going On"s to pick up the slack. I'm keeping it to a hard-fought ten:

1. Rihanna feat. Jay-Z - "Umbrella" (video)
2. LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends" (video)
3. M.I.A. - "Jimmy" (video)
4. Justice - "D.A.N.C.E." (video)
5. Shackleton - "Blood On My Hands (Villalobos Remix)" (mp3 via The Book I Read)
6. Kanye West - "Stronger" (video)
7. Feist - "My Moon My Man" (video)
8. M.I.A. - "Paper Planes" (video)
9. Burial - "Archangel" (mp3 via Redthreat)
10. Miranda Lambert - "Famous in a Small Town" (video)