19 February 2008

I'll Be the One to Hold the Gun



Small admission: I'm not the biggest Feist fan there's ever been. "1234", her biggest "hit" thusfar, doesn't do much for me, even though I enjoy the goofy community theater dance-o-rama video (and I obviously wasn't the only one). Yet two other tracks on the new (well, now recent) record, The Reminder, have lit up the neural switchbord: the piano-pounding of "My Moon, My Man" - also available in a taffy-pulled electro junk remix by Boys Noize - and my present #1 jam, the late-blooming current single, "I Feel It All".

"I Feel It All" is a clatterer; unlike other Feist tracks that roll, skip, or slip, this song falls down the stairs after a running start. One might even say it rocks, after a fashion. It's about a breakup, as approximately 60% of great pop songs are (scientifically proven, that), and the time-honored tradition of reserving the right to break your own damn heart:
I feel it all, I feel it all
I feel it all, I feel it all
The wings are wide, the wings are wide
Wild card inside, wild card inside

Oh I'll be the one to break my heart
I'll be the one who'll break my heart
I'll be the one who'll break my heart
I'll end it though you started it

The truth lies
The truth lied
And lies divide
Lies divide