22 September 2008

F-4 Interceptor

Chances are that if someone catches this ball, he won't be wearing a Jets jersey

Seeing Brett Favre in a Jet uniform is like taking a detour into a bizarre alternaverse; it reminds me of those What If? comics they used to put out that used to posit these fanboy-argument provoking hypotheses, like What If The Hulk Killed Wolverine? The academic nature of the question allowed you detached intellectual pleasure in something you would otherwise be emotionally invested in, because, you know, it's not really happening. Like a cosmic Get Out of Jail Free card. Given these circumstances, the fact that Favre seems to have zero familiarity with the Jets' playbook and is heaving interception after interception, that doesn't bother me. It's like by adding Brett Favre the Jets were conceding the 2008 season was going to be a one-shot issue stamped with a really gaudy hologram foil cover; not part of the ongoing continuum. My favorite team has been reduced to a prop in Favre's ongoing post-faux-retirement melodrama, and you know what? I could care less. I was forecasting 8-8 before the season began, so what the hell did I have to lose? Two or three more games? At least I can now comfort myself with the thought that the Favre experiment has so divorced this season from any plausible sense of continuity with the Jets organization I have rooted for for, oh, seventeen seasons, that I have no reason to be emotionally invested in the team. This is only a bad thing if Broadway Brett leads the Jets to a Super Bowl title, in which case...ah fuck it if he leads the Jets to a championship I'll give him my first born. Otherwise, given the way things are going, I'll at least avoid an ulcer. Oops, San Diego just scored again: Chargers 38, Jets 14, early 3rd quarter.